Been a long time since i posted! was raining today and wanted to try a sweet snack to munch! Posting my fav snack pori urundai ~ rice puffed balls. A simple yet a very sweet snack!
All you need is:
1. Jaggery (vellam) - 1 cup
2. Puffed rice - 4 cups
3. Cardamom powder - a pinch
4.Ghee - 2tsp
Do it this way:
- Melt jaggery by adding half cup of water, filter it to remove if there are any impurities.
- Add cardamom powder and 1tsp ghee to the filtered jaggery and keep stirring it in a medium flame.
- Mean while dry roast the puffed rice in other pan after adding a tsp of ghee.
- When you place a tsp of jaggery syrup to water in a plate,it should not dissolve,but you must be able to make a hard ball out of it or you should get a sting consistency.It is called paagu padham in tamil.
- At this stage add the puffed rice to the syrup and mix well
- Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Grease your palm with ghee and quickly make balls out of the mixture, when the heat is bearable.Initially you can make rough balls and then you can shape it nicely.
- If you are not able to hold as balls grease your palm with rice flour and then try to shape it.
- Not getting a shape at all, no worries. Eat as such and enjoy it.
|String consistency of jaggery (brown spot in water)|