This is one among my fav basically a recipe from chennai! passed from my grandma to my amma and now from her to me! I love this one with rice and tastes best with potato fry! And its very simple to do.
All you need is:
1. Appalam/ papads - 10 to 15 in numbers
2. Bengal gram/channa dhal - 1/2 cup
3. mustard seeds- 1 tsp
4. turmeric powder - 1/4th tsp
5. chilli powder - 1 tsp
6. Salt - to taste
7. oil - 2tsp
8. Onion - 1/2 - finely chopped
Do it this way:
- Fry the papads and keep it aside (either go for deep fry or keep it in oven for 2 mins batchwise)
- Soak channa dhal for 15 mins and add turmeric powder, chilly powder,salt to it.
- Pressure cook the above channa dhal with 2 cups of water until it gets cooked (up to 3 to 4 whistles).
- Keep the cooker aside and let the steam be released in the mean time.
- In a wok heat 2 tsp of oil and temper the mustard seeds and onion.
- Transfer the contents of the pressure cooker to the wok and mix well.
- Now add the fried papads and serve hot with rice!
This will taste good with potato fry and i bet the kids in your house will like it!
I am posting this recipe to only south indian @ Foodelicious